Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Long Story...

10/17/11 (or 17/10/11 as it would be denoted here in Israel, which makes for extra confusion on my part during the first 12 days of each month)--the day Gilad Shalit was released from captivity in Gaza. Unless you've been living under a rock, you've no doubt heard the story...1027 Palestinian prisoners exchanged for the release of a single Israeli soldier who'd been held captive in a secret dungeon in Gaza for the past five years.
gaza israel road sign

I first heard of the story last week from one of my cube-mates. There are three of us who share a cubicle at work, and while I've only spoken to my other cube-mate a couple of times, this one and I always seem to find ourselves discussing the topics considered taboo in the American workplace--religion, politics, you name it. My talkative cubemake was looking forward to the exchange, and explained how Shalit's release would be a jubilant occasion in Israel. Since then, I've polled several co-workers regarding their thoughts on the situation. In alignment with the statistics we'd heard on the news, most of them agreed with the swap, citing feelings for the family & an overriding solidarity amongst Israelis. One voiced strong opposition, and another said she was "ambivalent".

As an American, I initially found myself baffled at how this Israelis could be at ease with this lopsided exchange. Sure, I empathize with the Shalit family, but with more than a thousand convicted terrorists and murderers back on the streets, how many other families may be adversely impacted by this decision in the future?

That being said, I'm not sure I'm qualified to voice such an opinion. After all, I've lived my thirty-two years in a relative safety bubble. I've never had a friend or family member killed by war or act of terror. I've never served my country in conflict. And, I've never lived in a place where people in surrounding countries openly hate me. The story is deeper than Gilad Shalit, and so far I've been somewhat oblivious to its depth.

The evening Shalit was released, I needed to go to work in the middle of the night. Our first production material was going to arrive at my area, so I needed to be on-site. And since it takes a quarter tank of gas for the round trip, I stopped to fill up the car. The gas station attendant asked me what I thought of Gilad Shalit being released--and, not knowing what to say, I replied "it is a happy day". He agreed, and smiled widely.

On the way from our apartment in Tel Aviv to our factory in Kiryat Gat, just 20 miles or so from Gaza, I came across a police blockade of the highway. Seeing two soldiers with heavy guns strapped around their shoulders, I stopped my car and wondered what was going on. Four men had been pulled over, and seemed to be waiting while the guards were checking their documentation. I asked the guards in English whether or not I needed to stop, and the bearded one turned to me for a split second and muttered something in Hebrew. Then, the second guard turned at said "Have a good night". I got back in the car and headed off, figuring that I'd just been let through based on my appearance.

Once at work, I asked some of the night shift technicians about the encounter. They informed me that the guards were likely part of the border patrol unit, and were probably busting some workers illegally sneaking into Israel to work. They confirmed that I was likely given a free pass from having to show my documentation due to being "white".

Later, around 3:30am, I asked one of the technicians what he thought about the Gilad Shalit situation, and he paused, then replied: "It's a long story...".  He then asked me if I was familiar with the Bible and referenced the conflict between Abraham's sons (see Genesis 16-17)--Isaac (father of the Israelites) and Ishmael (father of the Arabs). Here we are 4000 years later, and the conflict is still being played out.

I must say that I admire the solidarity of the Israelis. Perhaps it is in part due to the relatively small size of the country that makes people feel like one large family. Perhaps the fact that most citizens must serve in the military adds to the bond. Perhaps it is due to the fact that the Jews have been the most persecuted people group in the history of the world. Or perhaps it is due to the fact that Israelis feel part of a larger story. I don't pretend to have it all figured out, but I do respect the fact that the Israelis have each others backs, and I can also respect the decision that was made to bring Gilad Shalit home.

On a lighter note, little Sammy boy has hit a new milestone--he can roll over! That is, if you believe Nicki's claims. I personally haven't witnessed an un-aided rollover yet...he seems to have better luck when I'm at work. He is also doing a lot of sucking on his fingers. Sometimes it is a thumb, sometimes a couple fingers, and sometimes both hands!
sammy baumer sucking his fingers while sporting a definition of handsome bib

Sam is also getting some exposure to sports. We cheered on the Cardnials (my older sister Cori and her family's favorite team--check out her blog here...she's been sharing some interesting insights lately about running & life) in Game 1 of the World Series this morning while watching on time delay. We could've watched the game live, but it was on TV at 1:30am our time.

And, here is Sammy supporting his mom and dad's alma mater, the (not so) mighty Cyclones of Iowa State. Notice that he is also wearing long sleeves--a first for him here in Israel. It is now dipping all the way down into the 60's at night here in Tel-Aviv now, so he's feeling a bit chilly...especially with the wind chill from the sea breeze :)
nicole and sammy baumer at the beach in tel aviv israel

1 comment:

  1. Hi Craig, great posting about as you live in the center of such history. I haven't read your earlier entries but I'll get caught up. Sammy is so adorable, what a bright smile!

    ReplyDelete